This afternoon I started to make membranes - looking for a way to make resonant structures I am trying different materials including silk (cocoon strippings, organza, throwsters waste), latex, silicon, beeswax and wire.
The photos of work so far are not very inspiring - the wet materials were still very wet and my surface was the glass of a very ugly print I bought at the op shop to reuse the frame. However, disregarding the hideous print, here are my first results. The silicon waterproofing membrane turned out to be pale blue not white and it has an unpleasant plasticky texture. It also sticks tenaciously to the glass which I didn't expect and that pretty much rules it out as a medium for my work. I used it to sandwich a piece of silk organza and in the second patch it is palette knifed over a clump of silk throwsters waste.